At this point in my life, I'm convinced that I would be lost without my Iphone, both literally and figuratively. Its my constant companion. With it, I'm never lost. I can answer any challenging questions the kids hit me with when I haven't been properly caffeinated (like why we breathe, got that one at breakfast the other morning). It has become my go-to camera when I'm out and about, allowing me to shoot hi-def photos and video. I can talk to people, send them smiley faces, I can check in on my etsy store and do things like relist items if needed, its just an amazing little device. So, I thought I would share my current favorite phone apps.
1. NPR News for iphone- I am a big NPR junkie, especially when I'm working in the studio. This free app allows me to scan current stories (grouped by top stories, categories, or programs, etc), pick and choose the ones I'd like to hear later, and create a playlist. Then, when I'm ready to listen, it will just play them all, one after the other. I can work, listen, and not have to stop and change to the next story or find another show. It scans programs like Planet Money, Fresh Air, Ted Radio Hour, etc. (It doesn't include This American Life, which has its own app, and is also great).
2. Instagram- I am a heavy user of Instagram. I love the immediacy of it, love the sharing back and forth, love the connections I've made. For those who don't use it, you basically share bits of life while they are happening. You know, what your morning coffee looks like, that kind of thing. You can also add a pretty filter if you choose to. I love it. I love seeing snapshots of my friend's days on there, and the back and forth between everyone. When you work in a basement studio, this kind of thing can make you smile. The photos I take actually show up on the left sidebar over there ----->, as well as twitter and facebook. Its a great way to keep connected in general.
3. Music ID- I've had this one for a while, they seemed to have worked out some glitches it used to have. It helps me discover new music when I don't have those crazy cool nieces and nephews around to just tell me. I use it a little something like this. I walk into Anthropologie, Free People, or yes, sometimes even Forever 21, to browse. I realize there is good music playing, yet I have no idea what the song is. I pull out my phone, point it in the general direction of where the music in coming from, and it tells me what the song is, who sings it, and sometimes even gives me the lyrics. Fabulous! Then there are those days when I spent way too much time looking at those old REM and Cocteau Twins lyrics that I could never understand when I was younger. (Spoiler alert: they weren't as deep and mysterious as we all assumed they were!)
4. NYTimes Crossword Puzzle- This is not a free app, I pay about the $16 for the yearly subscription, which gives access to both current puzzles and achived puzzles back to 1996 I think. I am addicted to crossword puzzles and do these to sort of turn my brain off or when I'm waiting for the school bell to ring. You can check your answers, it records your time, and you can connect it to facebook or other social media (not sure how that works, but I know its there). I've subscribed for 2 years and do sometimes 2 puzzles a day, so I'm definitely getting my money's worth. I'd be lost without this app.
5. Imovie- I have never been able to properly use Imovie on my Macbook and when a friend told me this app was loads simpler than the computer version I was skeptical, but he was right. Its such a breeze to use this app. You can record movies with your phone, add captions, music (yours or from their menu), fade in and out, so much. You can even upload them to youtube, email, etc straight from your phone. I love this app.
6. Action Movie- The hit of the summer for Ian. You can add special effects to movies you make in Imovie, or film them in action movie, then add them there. Thanks to this app, all sorts of natural disasters have been happening around the house, like this-
Please let me know what your favorites are!
Enjoy your Monday!