Alright, so you guys think I can do it, huh? Alright then... Sonya suggested bias binding to prevent the edges from fraying on the inside, so I may do that. Jane Cumberbatch's book Decorating Easy (this is my bible these days) says to pin it down and together while on the actual chair while you're making it, after each step. OK...I can do that....I can do that....
Here's what I've done so far. The back (front and back). The rest of that fabric is just draped over the chair parts, waiting to be pinned. There is no other way to avoid doing the hardest part last. Although, I'll hem the bottom all the way around for the very last step, that should be nothing short of blissful.
This fabric is a beige linen blend. I wasn't ready for the expense of 100% linen, but needed it to look and feel exactly like linen, and this does, for a lot less money.
The other chair, which sits across from the first one, will be slipcovered in a pale blue (called "milk green" but its definitely blue). I made a big mistake when I had the fabric store cut this one. I thought it was the inexpensive fake linen stuff. But it is, in fact, it was real linen. Shocking price difference. This better work.
I pulled this article out of Elle Decor (I think) about 5 years ago. Prints by textile designers D.D. and Leslie Tillett. ( I have never been able to find much about them through what small spurts of research I have attempted.) I have always love these prints, especially the pink one, kind of preppy, very summery. I'm thinking of doing an embroidered version of a couple of these stylized mums on the finished slipcovers in a bright color. Big flowers, spare, maybe just one huge one across the back, off center.
OK, back to the slipcovers now. It looks sad in my living room, not like summer at all. Matter of fact it looks like we're covering the furniture to leave for the summer. Not the idea.