I finally finished my quilt for Kim's Modern Quilt Along and I'm happy, happy, happy! I'm so relieved I didn't screw this up in any major way. Funny how a quilt really becomes such a labor of love, I felt a tinge of sadness mixed in with the relief and elation when it was done.
There was more than one repair session prior to the quilting, I will admit. Last week, I proudly showed off the finished quilt top to a friend who was over with her kids. I explained how the story lines are connect the squares and the person follows to make up the story, blah, blah, blah. Then she pointed and said "What about this square? Its not connected to anything."
(Insert selection of profanity here...)
How did I miss that??????????
So, out came the seam ripper, yet again. Luckily, I'm good at seam ripping...I've had plenty of practice. (For anyone wondering, all the story squares have to somehow connect to at least one other square, or they can technically never be included in a story line.)
I was really undecided up until I actually had fabric to machine as to how I was going to quilt this. I just decided diagonal straight lines. The diagonals really helped to anchor the squares down.
Backing fabric is just a green 40's small floral and the binding is tiny blue flowers. I really wanted the story squares to take center stage and everything else blend together. You can see more details here.
Now I desperately want to start another quilt from this book, but realistically should wait until after Christmas. I have plenty to do until then. I would really like to do "Marquee" for Ian's room. Here in Seattle, the summer nights are nice and cool, but a heavy down comforter like he has on his bed now is too much, but just a sheet not enough. A quilt would be just right. Emma already has a quilt I made from her baby clothes about 5 years ago.